DIY MFA Week 2: Build Your Reading List

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Here's my list:

Books on the craft of writing:
"Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maas
"The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle" by Steven Pressfield
"Fiction First Aid" by Raymond Obstfeld
"Stein on Writing" by Sol Stein
"The Writing of the Short Story" by Lewis Worthington Smith

Anthology of Short Form in my genre: *some of these are collections, not anthologies
"Flowers" by Scott Nicholson
"Underneath" by Dan DeWitt
"The First" by Scott Nicholson

Competitive Books: *too many in my genre to list, but here are a few
"Anathema" (Cloud Prophet Trilogy) by Meg Jensen
"Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery" by Jennifer Hampton
"The Color of Night" by Jack Thomas"

The next two classifications for the list are Informative Books and Contemporary Books. I decided to just list a few more books that interested me. To me the informative would be the books on craft.
"Death Whispers" by Tamara Rose Blodgett
"From Within" by John M. Dow
"The Gateway" by Glenn G. Thater
"The Manicurist" by Phyllis Schieber
"Marysvale" by Jared Southwick
"Play Dead" by Anne Frasier
"The Abandoned" by Amanda Stevens
"These Things Happened" by Scott Nicholson

And we can't forget the classics:
"Dracula's Guest" by Bram Stoker
"Frankenstein" by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
"Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier

I'm loving this program so far. It's really helped me get in gear and get excited about writing and reading again. And hopefully it will help me decrease the inordinate amount of time I spend online. Too much reading and writing to be done to be surfing. ;)



0 Friends Said:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Ink In My Sweet Tea

All content on this site is copyrighted by Helen H. David. Content may be reproduced up to 100 words with proper attribution. Content may not be reproduced beyond fair use (fair use being defined as excerpts of 100 words or less) or used for commercial purpose. Any unattributed use of this content shall be considered a violation of copyright.

Creative Commons License
Ink In My Sweet Tea: The Journal of a Southern Writer by Helen H. David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.



Protected by Copyscape Unique Article Checker

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP